My curation and re-prioritisation of the advice, as published by Anna Shipman:
- Strategy is clear, concise and catchy.
- Strategy identifies a handful of things we need to do.
- Strategy clarifies what we are not going to do.
- Strategy comes in multiple different versions: the slogan/tagline; the 30 second version, the 30 minute version, the full write-up and then, the communication: mugs, stickers, posters, etc.
- If you don’t have channels to discuss and manage strategy, set them up.
- Strategy is not something to write in a quiet room on your own. Talk to people, listen to what they say, use their words, where possible.
- Don’t get too hung up on what the semantics of what is strategy, as opposed to principles, goals, objectives etc.
See also her notes on Richard Rumelt’s Good Strategy Bad Strategy.